2015-2016 Professional Mentoring Program
Applications are now open for mentors and proteges for the 2015-2016 program.
If you are renewing a past mentoring relationship, please complete the ‘renewing pairs notification form’ which can be found once you log into the website below.
Application forms: Please LOG INTO the website to access all APPLICATION FORMS.
Applications deadline extended to: Thursday, September 3rd 11:59pm PST
Never participated in our program before? We would highly recommend you read and complete the following for a full understanding of the program and expectations of participants:
- Please read our Mentoring Information Guide & FAQ document prior to applying.
- Complete our Free (for members) on-demand mentoring 101 preparation course to better prepare you for the roles and expectations of being either a protege or a mentor.
Program Overview – Make a Meaningful Connection
HRMA’s Professional Mentoring Program (PMP) makes for a world of difference, matching proteges with mentors with a single purpose in mind – supporting your professional development in a meaningful way.
PMP Preparation and Timeline
Whether you are a newcomer to the field of HR, a mid-level practitioner, or a senior level HR professional, the PMP can support you to expand, refine and build new skills. To accomplish that goal, HRMA encourages interested members to complete the on-demand mentoring 101 preparation course before applying to the program to better prepare both proteges and mentors alike for what the PMP entails.
Moreover, we provide a framework for proteges and mentors to be matched with results that can last a lifetime. With agreement from both parties, there is an option to continue the mentoring relationship forward until the next program year begins, and beyond.
Now expanded from a six to a nine-month program, the PMP is a members’ only opportunity, and runs from mid-October to June each year. Applications for the upcoming PMP term will be accepted July 22nd – August 31st, 2015.
Please note that while very effort is made to provide all applicants with a match, HRMA cannot guarantee PMP placements as this is determined by the number of program volunteers and appropriate matches.
2015-2016 Program Timeline:
- July 22nd, 2015 – applications open
- August 31st, 2015 – applications close
- Approx September 30th, 2015 – notification of matches
- Mid-October – kick off events/orientations – more information including specific times coming….
Coastal Vancouver – October 14th and 19th – evenings – HRMA Vancouver Office
Fraser Valley – October 15th – evening – Surrey Central Library
Greater Vancouver – October 27th – evening – Douglas College New West Campus
Vancouver Island – October 26th – evening – HRMA Vancouver Island Office
Southern Interior – TBC
Central Interior – TBC
North – TBC
Yukon – TBC
- Mid-February – 1/2 way check in & mid point events
- Mid- June – program close and wrap up
Defining Roles: Proteges and Mentors
In our program, the learning opportunity is self-directed by the protege who guides the learning by taking on the responsibility of setting priorities and goals. In return, the protege received feedback, coaching and assistance from their mentor, resulting in the enhancement of the proteges’ professional career.
The mentor’s role is to be the ‘guide on the side’ while living a legacy. What the mentors can bring to bear on the relationship is vision, experience, different perspectives and a commitment to continued learning. The mentor, while helping the protege to achieve goals, does not set the goals. This learning partnership forms the guiding principle of the HRMA PMP.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
It is important that applicants have a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities prior to applying to the PMP.
To qualify to apply to the PMP you must:
- Be an HRMA member in good standing throughout the duration of the program
- As a mentor – be willing to provide an environment conducive to learning, whether in-person or online;
- As a protege – be willing to provide an outline of goals and objectives at the outset
- As a protege – pay the $30 processing fee for general members and $20 processing fee for students prior to completing the online application (these fees are non-refundable application processing fees and are not matching fees. There is no guarantee a mentor match will be found to meet your needs)
- Be prepared to commit for a 9 month period from October to June
- Be prepared to participate in a regional Kick Off/Orientation Session for the program where available (online version also available). (Optional for past-participants)
- Commit to participate in a minimum of 1-3 hours per month of interaction with your partner
- Complete an evaluation survey at the end of the program
- Maintain a Mentoring Log for submission and verification, as required, for eligibility of CHRP points. (Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to maintain these records.)
If accepted into the program, participants in the PMP benefit from:
- An HR career enhanced with new insights and perspectives;
- Effective relationships with other HR professionals through your partnership and other PMP-supported events;
- Making a significant impact in a colleague’s professional development;
- Earning 1 CHRP point per hour of protégé/mentor contact to a maximum of 20 points. Please refer to the CHRP Recertification Log for clarification or contact the CHRP Registrar.
- Giving back to the HR community in your region
Have a question not answered above? Please read our Mentoring Information Guide & FAQ document.
Contact the PMP Manager for more information.