Applications now accepted for the 2015 Professional Mentoring Program.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, September 30th, 2014.
Online application instructions can be found at the bottom of this page.
New to the program? Please review this page in it’s entirety. For more detailed information about commitment, roles and responsibilities, and FAQs, please read our Information Guide & FAQs
NEW: Protege Application Fee
All proteges applying to the 2015 program will have to pay an application fee: $20 for regular members and $10 for student members. While we wish we didn’t have to implement this fee, it is needed to help offset the costs associated with running the program as well as to help with the continued development of new programming for participants. If we are unable to match you with a mentor, your fee will be refunded.
HRMA’s Professional Mentoring Program (PMP) provides the framework for members to be matched, according to specific needs and goals, with other members for the purpose of enhancing professional development in a meaningful and supportive way. This member-only program runs annually from January to June. With agreement from both parties, there is an option to continue on until the next program year commences, allowing participants to focus on their goals rather than the calendar.
In our program, it is the protégé who directs the learning by taking on the responsibility of setting priorities and goals and being self-directed. The mentor’s role is to be a ‘guide on the side’. This learning partnership forms the guiding principle of the HRMA PMP. Whether you are a newcomer to the field of HR or a senior practitioner, the PMP can support you to expand, refine and build new skills.
Roles and Responsibilities
It is important that applicants have a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities prior to applying to this program as well as an understanding of the purpose of the program. The PMP is not is a job search program but rather a program supporting active learning.
A protégé is an active partner who receives advice, coaching, assistance and feedback from a more experienced person, resulting in the enhancement of the protégé’s professional career. The protégé must have clear goals established and be internally motivated to learn in order for the relationship to be successful.
A mentor is an experienced person who facilitates the self-directed learning, goals and objective of their protégé by advising, coaching, and providing feedback, guidance, expertise and knowledge. The mentor, while helping the protégé to achieve goals, does not set the goals.
To participate in the program you must:
- Be an HRMA member in good standing
- Complete an online application form
- Be prepared to commit for a 6 month period from January to June
- Participate in the regional Orientation Session for the program where available (online version also available)
- Commit to participate in a minimum of 2-4 hours per month of interaction with your partner
- Complete an evaluation survey at the end of the program
- Protégé: be prepared to provide an outline of goals and objectives at the outset of the program
- Mentor: be prepared to provide an environment conducive to learning, whether in-person or online
- Maintain a Mentoring Log for submission and verification, as required, for eligibility of CHRP points.Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to maintain these records.
Program benefits include:
- Enhancing your HR career by gaining new insights from a different perspective
- Making a significant impact in a colleague’s professional development
- Earning 1 CHRP point per hour of protégé/mentor contact to a maximum of 20 points. Please refer to the CHRP Recertification Log for clarification or contact the CHRP Registrar.
- Building effective relationships with other HR professionals through your partnership and by attending mentoring-specific events
- Attending a regional Wrap Up event to celebrate successes and honour volunteers
Please note that while every effort is made to provide all applicants with a match, HRMA cannot guarantee that you will be placed in the program as this is determined by the number of program volunteers and appropriate matches.
September 3rd 2014 – Online Applications Open
September 30th , 2014 – Application Deadline
November 2014 – Notifications of Successful Matches Emailed
January 2015 – Official Launch & Orientation Sessions
June 2015 – Regional Wrap Up Events
This is a members only program. Please ensure your membership is current.
PROTEGES: (people looking to be matched with a mentor). Proteges must pay the application fee first in our online store. Please log into the website then select the protege application fee in the online store. Once your order has been completed, you will then receive a confirmation email along with a link to the online application.
**Please note that some members are experiencing issues with the e-commerce section of our website. If you are having technical difficulties please call our office and we will process your payment over the phone. We are working on resolving this issue as soon as possible**
MENTORS: (people volunteering to mentor a protege). Please complete this online application before the deadline.
Please note: If you wish to be a protege and a mentor you must complete both applications separately.
If you wish to continue your mentoring relationship with a past match please contact PMP Manager and you will be asked to complete a separate online notification form.
Have a question not answered above? Contact the PMP Manager for more information.